Wednesday, January 4, 1984

Filthy code


Jeremy rang tonight: it was the first contact I’ve had with him since Christmas Eve. I haven’t seen Lee since we came back from Barry’s on Sunday. Jeremy is seriously contemplating making a change of University. Ms Hirst has been encouraging him to do so.

After Mum and Dad had gone to bed I wrote a letter to the Echo in answer to one that accused the IRA of “indiscriminate murder.” I pointed out that most of the IRA and INLA victims in 1983 were soldiers, policemen and other security personnel.

Writing to the ‘papers is a fairly futile exercise, valuable only to provoke the sanctimonious millions into their cries of scandalised indignation. What made me to write was my anger at the sickening lies and hypocrisy peddled by the media and State in its dealings with N. Ireland. War and Murder amount to much the same thing in the long run I admit, yet the official line on this is inconsistent. What is a glorious and heroic thing for the British Army and Navy to do in the South Atlantic is, in the eyes of the Press, barbaric, senseless and cold-blooded if perpetrated by the IRA and INLA in N. Ireland.

Where were the shrill cries of “blood-thirsty psychopaths” after the massacre on “Bloody Sunday” in 1972? A filthy code of double-standards operates where “Our Boys” are concerned.

No comments:

Google Analytics Alternative