Tuesday, December 27, 1983

Standstill


The day was inevitably dominated by football. Rob and Carol came across in the morning and after dinner, Robert, Andrew, Dad and I went to Cardigan Park and saw Athletic trounce Holmeshaw Vale 3-0. Highmore got two goals.

Homeshaw were a poor side and at times, especially early in the second half, Athletic ran amok and looked as if they were going to score with every attack. The crowd gave the team a standing ovation & the great outpourings of enjoyment and satisfaction were a pleasure to behold. Over seven hundred people saw the game, nearly double the average gate.

The mild weather continues. Every night two of the Fire Bellied Toads chirp in their glass tank, presumably serenading the single female. I’ve done nothing since Christmas Day except finish the last few pages of The New Existentialism and carry on with my reading of The Magus. I haven’t been anywhere since Christmas Eve.

Barry rang. Lee and I are going to hitch across to Debdenshaw on Friday and hopefully, Guy, Pete, Stu and Gareth will be there. Del is in Milton Keynes, Trevor across in Holland. Lee and I are going to Whincliffe tomorrow to the Army Surplus shop.

It’s quite apparent the surface routine of home has made no great impression on my mental situation. As a record of my ‘mental life,’ this diary attests to the virtual standstill of that side of things at the moment. I need time to think. What can I say but that at this instant in time I very much hope that I’ll see Claire again and that I’ll sort out myself for the new year; a sort of new year’s resolution before which I have to get a lot of things straight in my mind.

No comments:

Google Analytics Alternative