Saturday, October 6, 1984

Mysteries


It’s 12:37 p.m. on a sunny, cold afternoon and in a minute I’ll catch a bus into town and get drunk.

I feel I’ve lost an overall view of things, that sense of a continuous day-and-night, day-and-night life unrolling from each week to month and year. All that feels gone. The void separating Now from Then will always remain unfilled, and the last two months feel full of emptiness and untold things.

It’s a pity I can’t keep up with my idealistic expectations for these words, but in a way their inner silence on the essentials reflect my state of being—I’m rushing into the last months of University. This chapter is coming to an end and I’m eager to be through to the light at the other side. From this vantage point I see next June onwards in the most optimistic terms.

New beginnings, and just a minor hiccup in my strivings and now I’m on my way again.

I rang home to ask Robert if he’d got his record and Mum told me that Sean Barker’s seventeen year old brother Stephen died the other day of some mysterious illness which began innocently as a cold.

No comments:

Google Analytics Alternative