Monday, September 26, 1983

Combined arts


I was up at eleven and I set off to walk into Watermouth to meet Lee. Pete and Mo were still in bed. It was just like summer, not a hint of autumn, the trees full and green and the air warm, and it seems that here the season is a couple of weeks behind that in Yorkshire.

Lee was waiting outside the Art College on Maynard Gardens. We wandered around Watermouth and I paid off my overdraft with a £100 cheque from Mum and Dad. It was a little depressing to pay this in to the bank and still only be £40 in the clear.

I bought a black-and-white TV licence and we went back down to Maynard Gardens and I sat outside while Lee was introduced to his course and the other six Combined Arts students, who he characterised as “bristle-heads who all look the same.” He still sounds very excited by the course.

We did a bit of shopping at Sainsbury’s and collected my trunk before catching a taxi back to Jervis Terrace. We had a hassle as my key didn’t fit, so we borrowed a ladder from a neighbour and Lee climbed in through a back window.

Lee left at nine just as Pete and Mo came back from wherever they’d been all evening. He said he couldn’t imagine anyone but students living here.

No comments:

Google Analytics Alternative