Saturday, September 24, 1983

Talking aloud as they sit round their tables


My last day in Easterby. A trip to Bethany was planned but it never materialised. Nanna P. was brought from Cross Green Road at dinnertime and she spent the afternoon at the table knitting doll clothes. Janet’s baby is due in eight or nine weeks and she’s been given conflicting reports by doctors which hint that all is not well, and that the kid could even have spina bifida.

My day has cruised by unspectacularly, listening to the football on the radio and trying to pack while outside the wind blew and the sun shone. Athletic won 3-2 at Ryburn United. It was nail biting stuff listening to it on Radio North. They went a goal ahead after just thirteen minutes, but Ryburn equalised not long after, then went ahead themselves before Athletic drew level again; I really didn’t dare hope that the Spinners would win. But win they did, and Dad and I had a whisky in celebration of the winning goal and prayed away the last twenty minutes.

I mobilised myself to desultory packing most of the day, and I’m just now finishing off. Lee rang earlier in the evening to announce that he’s got hold of a Third Reich board game from John. He’s all set to leave too, and his Mum is tearful at his departure.

I wonder how he’ll change? Claire reckoned in her letter that he’d alter a lot as he’s been “restrained” here.

One of those unavoidable and unpleasant pre-departure days, with no real motivation to do anything, and a feeling that I’m biding my time. In a sense, things have felt a bit unreal. To Nanna P., people must constantly come and go around her, and I know when I’m southward–bound on the M1 tomorrow she’ll be here talking and knitting and looking forward to a “run-out.” Eternal.

Life will go on as usual after I’m gone, and in a way this thought is a little odd to think, although to others it’ll seem too stupid and obvious to mention. Mum, Dad & Nanna P. are watching The Omen, but I’ve no stomach for that so I’m bodging about until bed-time.

When I next write, I’ll be in a different world completely.

No comments:

Google Analytics Alternative