Saturday, August 14, 1982

Shut up and get on with it


Dad drove me on to the library, our moods bright like the sun. I took out Ronald Hayman ‘s Theatre and Anti-Theatre, Thomas Wolfe’s Look Homeward Angel, Naked Lunch by Burroughs and a couple of books on art. I spent £2.50-plus on brushes and boards at Bailey’s.

This question of when and why and how I write this journal is getting stupidly out-of-hand. What should be a spontaneous process gets bogged down in unimportant detail; whatever I do I'm beset by doubts when really none of it matters! I'd promised myself to be less zealously regular about writing every day but now I think more about it I should write every day because mundane detail is the Truth and it's what makes this interesting for me to look back at. Once lapsed, a daily record has lost its aim and purpose.

Maybe I'm trying to make this something it’s not and I'm being just too ambitious?  Shut up and get on with it.

No comments:

Google Analytics Alternative