Monday, July 6, 1981

Racquet


Dull and overcast. I deliberately missed assembly so I could do my History notes; Claire followed, and Deborah was in the common room too, and for much of the assembly time we all talked. I made a conscious effort to initiate conversation and it seemed to go well. This put me in a good mood for the rest of the day.

In History period three we looked over our exam’ papers and I ended up on the tennis courts again, playing Jeremy, then Lee, and completing our doubles match v Evelyn and Claire. We won and then we had a proper mixed doubles; I was with Evelyn. We lost 6-0, 4-6, 3-6.

I did nothing in the evening. The news is dominated by the Toxteth riots which continue tonight with groups of mainly white yobs stoning the police. The scenes looked like the Blitz. At teatime Mum twice almost cried and is quite despairing of the situation because, she says, as a policeman’s wife and someone who teaches Asians, she can see both sides of the rift. The media has a lot to answer for in encouraging it.

No comments:

Google Analytics Alternative